Home Page

How will Lawnside Lower School support my child?

Each pupil's educational programme will be planned by the class teacher.  It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil's individual needs through quality first teaching.  This may include:


  • Additional support by the class teacher, higher learning teaching assistant (HLTA), teaching assistant (TA) or learning support assistant (LSA) in class.
  • If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as literacy, spelling, handwriting, numeracy, behaviour etc, then the pupil will receive extra support and/or an intervention. This will be run by either the class teacher, HLTA, TA or an LSA.
  • The length of time of the intervention will vary according to the need but will generally be for a specific number of weeks.  The interventions will be regularly reviewed by all involved to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to form future planning.  These interventions will be recorded on the class provision map (this is a record of the interventions, timings and impact of the intervention).
  • Pupil Progress meetings are held each term.  This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with the Senior Leadership Team to discuss the progress of the pupils in their class.  This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for future support to be planned.
  • If progress is still a concern, an Individual Provision Plan (IPP) and/or a SEND Support Plan will be put in to place.  This would be agreed with parents/carers, detailing the provision and specific targets set for your child.  This would be reviewed with the parents.
  • Occasionally a pupil may need more specific expert support from an outside agency, such as the Educational Psychologist, Speech Therapist, Occupational Therapist, School Nurse.  A referral will be made, with your consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. 
  • An application for an Educational Health and Care Plan (EHCP) could be made if appropriate.